Monday, September 13, 2010

Ghetto Halloween costumes

A recent post from a friend on facebook has got me thinking about all the Halloween costumes we have had all through the years.  I know it may come as a shocker but I don't buy costumes, I make them.  There have been a few exceptions to that rule but generally they are straight from scratch.  I pride myself in being imaginative and creative in this arena but I must admit sometimes I fall short of "professional".  Don't be shocked......it's true (bwahahahahah....I crack myself up).  As Halloween is quickly approaching, I thought I would reminisce about my handiwork......

The post that brought costumes to mind was a mother's desire to find her daughter a Scooby Doo costume for Halloween this year.  Now Game Head had a fixation with a brown blankie for the better part of his babyhood.  He was absolutely obsessed with this thing.  I remember one particular time that we forgot said blankie on a trip to Jacksonville, FL and he screamed for the entire 3 or so hour trip.  So much so that as soon as I got there, some friends and I headed for WalMart (back when they sold fabric) and bought the only brown material we could find.  It was a Jersey knit (tee shirt material for all you non-Marthawannab's) instead of fleece like his usual blankie but he accepted the psuedo blankie for the entire duration of the trip.  When we returned home, he went back to the original blankie so I had a couple of yards of brown material on hand.  By this time, the material had a couple of holes in it and wasn't much good for anything.  EXCEPT that Game Head was in love with Scooby Doo.  So much so that he was watching it in the labor and delivery room as Drama Queen was born but that is an entirely different blog.  Anyhoo.....as Halloween approached, I realized that I could easily make a Scooby Doo costume with this brown pusdo blankie material.  I strategically placed black dots over the holes in the material and followed a pj jumper pattern and voila.....Scooby Doo.  I still have this costume......it's gay but I love it.  I have visions of Game Head's child wearing this costume one day and NOONE better squash my dreams O.....K......!!!!!!

As for other costumes, we have run the gamat.  We have had a homemade jelly fish, a butcher, a cowgirl, and numerous other precious memory-making costumes.  I made my BFFs little girl a belly dancer outfit and one year her son was Peter Pan and Drama Queen was tinkerbell (I made that one wayyyyy to short but she was like 2 so it was o.k. that her diaper was hanging out).  I get this from my mother.  One year she made me a rubiks cube....NO, I am not kidding.  You would be surprised what you can do with a box and some paint.  It was a hit and I am trying to talk Game Head into letting me make him one this year....he still says "NO".  Speaking of boxes, my BFFs husband was Spongebob one year and it was awesome. 

So.....my point is that you can do anything you want for Halloween but make it original.  It may be ghetto but the memories you make will be priceless.   It is fun putting together a costume at 5:00 on Halloween with glue, gum, and masking tape (REALLY).   Martha would use quality materials and a seamstress but what fun would that be?  Silly Martha......

P.S.  I totally borrowed the cute baby taco from http://www.funny-potato.com/images/halloween/costume-babies/baby-halloween-suggestion.jpg and I, for one, think Harper would me a beautiful taco this year.  Lil Mama may have something to say about that though.............

No comments:

Post a Comment