Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The perils of yardwork

Last Wednesday was the sort of day that made me sure that I definitely wanna become Martha Stewart (not that I had any doubt before mind you, but reaffirmation is nice).  I got up cranky.  Well, I always get up cranky.  I don't sleep enough.  I always have a reason for this but it's really my fault.  My mind won't shut down and I do not encourage it.  I like to a start project late at night or read a book that I just can't put down.  Who can sleep when there are so many more hours left in order to cover more ground.  I mean, I can sleep when I die.  Anyway, I digress.....so, I got up cranky.  Took the kids to school, after much yelling and complaining and got back to the house.  Wednesday's are my day off from the job that helps pay the bills.  These days are chock full of appointments, house work, etc.  They are also Shimmy days but I will save that tidbit for later.  Today's Wednesday was yard work day.  A few weeks ago, everything was brown and wintery..we even had snow.  Yesterday, I noticed that my weeds in the front flower bed almost reached my kid's windows and all my flowers were blooming.  It was truly amazing. 

Off to work I went.....pulled the biggest weeds I have ever seen all morning.  They were tenacious little buggers.  I filled up the wheel barrow and my husband's trailer!  In the midst of the weed pulling, I realized that I had an ant problem.  I have noticed a few here and there inside the house and wondered where they are coming from.  I quickly found that they are living quite contentedly in my flower beds.  So, I put ant killer on my list and continued my laboring.  We have a flower bed full of rocks smack dab in the middle of the yard.  I know a lot of people do this but I hate it.  I HATE it.  That's because I like to plant and replant.  I like to move flowers and shrubs.  Rocks make this difficult.  Also, weeds will eventually grow through whatever kinds of barrier you put under the rocks and pulling them is rough through the rocks!!  Therefore, I have weeds and grass that have a permanent, happy home in the flower bed full of rocks.  Today was the day to eradicate them.  I got out Mr. H.B.s weedeater.  Tried many times to crank the cussed thing to no avail.  Thank goodness I went into the backyard so no one could see me embarrass myself trying to crank it.  After multiple tries to crank it and choke it and all that other stuff you are suppoed to do, I look down and realize it is out of gas.  Great!  Mr. H.B. probably did that on purpose so I wouldn't use it.  I can't be detered that easy!  I looked all over the garage and found the can labeled for the weedeater and filled the bad boy up.  Cranked on the first try if you can believe that.... After getting over my embarrassment at the weedeater incident, I head off to get the weeds I couldn't pull up.  I managed to get all the ones I could but still needed to kill the roots of the little demons in the rock flower bed.  I headed off to Lowe's and bought everything in site.  I don't know if it worked but I guess we will see.  At least I got to visit the plant department at Lowe's.  That place is awesome.  If only I could just bring all those pretty plants and flowers home with me and set them up in the backyard.  Well I guess I could but they call that theft seeing as how I would have to second mortgage my home to buy all that stuff and I would probably just kill it all anyway.

So.......my point in telling all this is that the next day the weedeater didn't work.  I SWEAR I didn't do anythign to it.  However, The Horse's Butt was rather peeved and tried really, really hard not to blame me but I know he is secretly wishing that he had hidden that container of weedeater gas.  As for me, I plead the fifth.  If he had eradicated the little suckers to start with, I wouldn't have had to use the weedeater.  See....it's always his fault.  I am sure Martha would see it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment